Thursday, November 11, 2010

Stuff.

A year and half after finishing college I moved to NYC.  Anybody who has ever lived or been in an apartment there knows that space is pure luxury.  These confines kept me weeding out and there is nothing like having a Brooklyn stoop sale to keep stuff from accumulating.

Upon moving to Germany we found a two bedroom with basement storage. There should be a way to insert angel choir singing here.  Anyway,  it was pure bliss and the insanity commenced.  Don't need it right now, put it in the basement. Will probably never need it again, put it in the basement.  Don't want to deal with it, put it in the basement.  Then we decided to buy a piece of property and build a house.  A four bedroom house with a full basement.  Feel free to insert the angel choir. As you might imagine the insanity continued.  We moved in almost two years ago and it got to the point that I would walk through the basement with my eyes locked on the floor.

So a couple of weeks ago I convinced my husband and we started cleaning out the basement. I thought about taking before pictures and posting them, but who would want to see that?  Besides, I really didn't want to share it. This morning I was catching up on my blog reading and saw Nicole's post "The Empty Basement". I think it was pretty gutsy and tomorrow morning I am taking pictures of our basement and posting them.  They may not be true before pictures, but I think everyone will get an idea of the real before considering we have already spent about 4 hours bickering and blaming clearing and organizing.

2 comments:

  1. What a great story and good work so far.
    Especially enjoyed the choir of angels and the bickering/blaming imagery.
    I know you've mentioned before about being nervous of the 'before' photo's and I feel the same sometimes, but without the real 'before' pics we don't get to see the whole journey, and neither do you. So I'd like to see the 'befores' and if you show me yours, I'll show you mine. ;o)
    Where I live we don't have a lot of basements because of the high water table, but for us and our neighbours you can just substitute the word garage for basement.
    I have tried to be quite ruthless in keeping the 'stuff' under control, but it collects anyway. That having been said, we are the ONLY people in our cul-de-sac who garage our car, because we are the ONLY people who CAN !!! so you are not alone.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo - I added the pictures in a new post. We have also have quite a few neighbors who don't park in their garage for the same reason. I vow never to let that happen. Haven't had much time to work on the basement in the last few days as we have been busy in the garden. Next week I will start tackling it again.

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you!